Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gardening

I decided to try my hand at some gardening this year.  I think that everyone can admit that fresh tomatoes and herbs are so much better than store bought.  So, this year I have a bucket with tomatoes and some smaller ones with oregano, parsley, a cilantro.  I had started out with basil (before reading about it... big mistake) and that followed the pattern of all of my gardening to this point in my adult life.  Here is what my garden looked like when we started.
Herbs
Tomatoes
Matthias loves to help water
Dying basil
My basil has since died (the norm for my gardening), but the other plants seem to be doing quite well and we may actually get some tomatoes this year!  Wow, even just seeing the little buds makes me feel like perhaps I may not kill every plant I try to take care of.  I have since read more about basil and I'm hoping to have more success in the future.

Two small blooms on the cherry tomato plant

The cilantro had to be transplanted because the herbs are all
getting so big.  I'm really hoping that I didn't ruin the roots.

2 comments:

  1. Your plants look great, and it looks like your cilantro transplanted just fine. If not, you can grow it from coriander seeds that you might have in your spice cupboard. I find it comes up from seed okay. And try again with your basil in May - did it just get too cold when you put it outside? Anyway, I'm impressed and I'm glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here to help me out. My plants are still doing pretty well, but I just feel so lost!

      Delete